Serves 2 as a main course.
- 1 lb Skirt Steak (approximately 1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper, for seasoning steak – to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large pears, cored and cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula, washed and patted dry
For the Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- Heat a large skillet or on the grill over medium-high heat; add olive oil to skillet (or lightly oil your grill grates with oil soaked towel). When oil begins to simmer place steak in skillet and let cook for 5 minutes. Turn it and cook for another 4 minutes for medium rare. Transfer meat to cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Prepare the rest of your ingredients while it’s resting.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once melted add brown sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add pear chunks, cook – stirring occasionally – for about 5 minutes, or just until the pears have released their juices and softened up. With a slotted spoon (leaving behind as much sauce as possible) transfer pears to a clean plate.
- Add pecans to the same skillet the pears were cooked in (keeping the pear juices and caramel in the pan!), and toss them in the caramel, cooking over medium heat for just 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and working quickly transfer pecans to a plate covered in wax or parchment paper.
- Once steak has rested for 10 minutes, slice meat against the grain into 1” strips.
- Scatter arugula onto a large serving dish or platter. Arrange steak strips on top, add pears, pecans, and gorgonzola evenly around the platter. Lightly dress with vinaigrette, and serve at once.
- For the Mustard Vinaigrette: Whisk all of the ingredients together. Season well with salt and pepper – Adjust ingredients to taste.